This position will assist with the development and implementation of safety programs to promote a safe work environment by prevention and correction of unsafe conditions and situations under the direction of the Occupational Health & Safety Manager.
This position is responsible for:
- Assist with the development, update and maintenance of Health and Safety Plans, Procedures and Training curriculum.
- Coordinate and administer monthly safety tailgate meetings and annual refresher training of operations and maintenance staff with the Occupational Health & Safety Manager.
- Coordinate and participate in accident/incident investigations. Manage corrective action items to completion, as direct by the Occupational Health & Safety Manager.
- Assist with implementation and on-going responsibilities associated with Respiratory Protection Program, for example, fit-testing, respirator issuance, guidance with proper use and care, etc.
- Oversee annual fire extinguisher testing and replacement program, and coordinating for replacements/recharging as-needed.
- Maintain program for required maintenance and testing of firewater system, including deluge, pumps, CO2 system, etc. Coordinate with Maintenance Department to ensure requirements are communicated and performed on prescribed frequencies.
- Lead special projects, under direction of the Occupational Health & Safety Manager, regarding safety surveys and monitoring (including personnel/industrial hygiene monitoring). Trains, mentors, and coach's business partners and monitor site practices and conditions.
- Coordinate follow-up activities with operations, engineering and maintenance related to deficient findings from inspections safety audits.
- Interfaces with regulatory agencies and outside vendors as necessary to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Conduct facility walk-throughs with Kern County Fire Department for emergency responder coordination efforts, and participate in conducting of periodic drills.
- Escort agency personnel while on-site; facilitate on-site agency inspections and participate in pre- and post-inspection briefing meetings.
- Provide field guidance and support specific to safety policies, safe working conditions and safe behavior to refinery maintenance, operations and contract personnel, maintain field presence during projects/turnaround activities, etc.
- Develop and communicate daily work summary
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
The successful applicant for this position must have:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years related experience and/or training in industrial setting
- Ability to understand and interpret written material, including technical information, rules, regulations, agency rules, executive orders and laws; conduct tests and inspect work areas, machinery, equipment and working conditions for compliance with occupational health & safety regulations
- Requires the ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE); meet physical demands of position such as walking, standing, lifting up to 40 pounds, climbing ladders and stairs, bending squatting, and crawling in tight spaces to safely access work sites.
- Knowledge of California and Federal safety and health regulations to include OSHA, DOT NFPA, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work well and simultaneously on many tasks.
- Excellent problem-solving techniques and quantitative analytical skills.
- Requires leadership and interpersonal skills necessary to be effective with a wide range of personnel; ability to work effectively in teams and independently.
- Extensive experience in development and implementation of Electrical Safety, Fire Safety and Lockout Tagout Programs.
Desirable Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Safety
- Occupational Health & Safety Technologist (OHST) or similar accreditation
- Facilitation & Presentation Skills
This position offers a competitive compensation rate as full-time exempt employee with full slate of Company benefits (after applicable waiting period) including medical/dental insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, retirement plan, and 401(k) plan.
Kern Oil & Refining Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.