The Pump Mechanic is an essential role in the Maintenance Department at Kern Oil & Refining Co. (Kern). Our Pump Mechanics perform routine maintenance, installation and integration of various pieces of plant equipment to include, pumps, compressors, motors (gas & electric), and valves.
This position is responsible for:
- Performs maintenance in all areas of the plant on a scheduled or emergency basis:
- Mechanical repairs on pumps, Compressors, fans, valves, and heat exchangers
- Electrical repairs on motors, motor starters; running conduit and pulling wires for new installations
- Building repairs and cleaning
- Moves, sets, calibrates, as needed, controls such as knobs, valves, switches, levers, and index arms, on control panels to control process variables such as flows, temperatures, pressures, vacuum, time, and chemicals, by automatic regulation and remote control of processing units, such as heaters, coolers, thermal oxidizer, compressors, exchangers, and other units.
- Assemble and secure pipes, fittings, and related equipment, according to specifications
- Requires removal, replacement and alignment of various plant equipment
- Rebuilding pumps in the field
- New base installations
- New equipment startups
- Rotating equipment alignments
- Shop rebuilds
- Troubleshooting all rotating equipment
- Will comply with all safety regulations as well as safety protocols
- Complete all necessary paperwork associated with work to document status and completion of work orders
- Examines pumps for malfunctioning to locate damage or wear, like blowout packing, misalignment of pump shaft, slippage of drive belt, worn bearings, or need for lubrication
- Observes operation of pumps & feels for heat and vibration of parts to detect cause of malfunctioning
- Conducts vibration monitoring
- Documents parts used and work performed in work order system
Qualifications and Requirements
The successful applicant for this position must have:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum three (3) year’s experience working in industrial setting on rotating equipment
- Wide range of knowledge with most rotating equipment
- Laser alignment equipment and vibration analysis experience
- Familiar with new installs and some system experience
- Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate needs to management.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce company rules and regulations as well as OSHA standards and requirements.
- Must have great attention to detail.
- Previous experience reading and comprehending Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Previous experience with Lock Out/Tag Out procedures
- Must be willing to work overtime and respond immediately to call-outs
- Must have a Valid Driver License with a clean driving record
The refinery operates 24 hours per day 365 days per year. Shifts are typically 8 hours; Monday thru Friday and additional overtime work is often required. An exceptional attendance, safety and performance record is absolutely essential. Introductory period is 90 days. The job is considered full-time regular employment, FLSA status is non-exempt (eligible for overtime pay) with full slate of Company benefits (after applicable waiting period) including medical/dental insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, company retirement plan, and 401(k) plan.
Kern Oil & Refining Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.