Kern Oil & Refining Co. needs an organized and experienced Project Engineer to partner with proven contractors and their crews to complete our projects in a timely and cost-effective manner. Budget preparation / oversite, organization, implementation and scheduling are key responsibilities of this role. This individual is responsible for all aspects of project management. This skilled engineer will facilitate various projects and complete assignments while meeting all committed time lines in a safe and productive environment. This is a "hands-on" position responsible for handling multiple assignments at any one time. Ability to interact with contractors, suppliers and various levels of management is essential.
Here's what you'll do
- Maintain a good understanding of industry standards, regulations and codes including API, NFPA, ASME, OSHA and local, state & federal regulations.
- Develop Appropriations for Expenditures (AFEs) for refinery projects and turnarounds.
- Develop, manage and oversee projects and turnarounds. Manages activities including project and turnaround planning, budgeting, scheduling, forecasting, resource allocation and cost control. Prepare scopes of work, request for quotations, and secure estimates and cost quotes as needed.
- Interface with operations, environmental, and inspection departments on compliance, scope, startup, and commissioning.
- Be held accountable for keeping projects on schedule and on budget while meeting design objectives and ensuring projects are completed safely and are commissioned for safe and reliable operations.
- Effectively communicate any deviations to projects and turnaround schedules, budgets, original design intents, or any impacts to safety or reliability.
- Participate in project coverage of turnaround activity oversight.
- Responsible for driving continuous improvement of projects through the use of established performance metrics (schedule compliance, planning accuracy, etc.)
- Interface across the entire organization as relates to Projects and Turnarounds.
- Schedule and attend project meetings with various departments to develop project scope and work list.
- Interface with contractors, and material procurement contractors to assure materials and manpower are available and meets requirements.
- Provide daily progress updates and analysis for ongoing projects.
- Provide post project analysis to drive continuous improvement.
- Communicate both written and verbal across the entire organization and with equipment manufacturers, contractors and vendors.
- All other reasonable duties, as assigned.
- Works extended hours, including nights and weekends, in process operations environment and during periods of inclement weather.Accesses areas of refinery requiring use of stairs and/or ladders to inspect critical process and mechanical equipment including periods of inclement weather. Responds to upset conditions during off hours.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and remain focused and organized.
- Ability to effectively delegate responsibility and manage the work activities of others.
- Possess strong knowledge of refinery process equipment.
- Establishes goals and objectives which are specific, measurable, achievable and relevant.
- Proficient project coordination and management skills required.
- Demonstrated advanced communication, interpersonal, technical and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact well with internal and external contacts required.
- Must have excellent computer skills as demonstrated by ability to compile and present information and data utilizing Microsoft Office and Google Suites.
- Ability to learn other job specific applications as required.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering is required with 3 to 6 years’ experience in Refining or Petrochemical sectors.
This position is considered full-time regular employment, FLSA status is exempt with full slate of Company benefits (after applicable waiting period) including medical/dental insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, company retirement plan, and 401(k) plan.
Kern Oil &Refining Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.