The Refinery Operations Manager is responsible for leading and managing the day-to-day operation of Refinery and is instrumental in establishing and promoting a culture focused on safe, environmentally compliant, and reliable operations. This role evaluates plant performance, implements recommendations for reliability improvements and cost optimization, and champions initiatives in support of long term sustainable profitability of the refinery.
- Provide functional and tactical process leadership to meet overall targets and goals.
- Provide oversight for the overall operations, sets priorities for personnel safety, process safety, environmental, reliability; and directs efforts of support staff including maintenance planning & execution, turnarounds, capital projects, and technical support.
- Participate in site leadership activities including budgeting, short and long term improvements to cost structure, and consult with other leadership team members providing operational insight.
- Accountable for ensuring process safety and safety compliance by supporting process hazard analyses, leading and participating in incident investigations, owning procedure development and improvement, owning management of change, ensuring emergency response preparedness, supporting alarm management, and assessment of operability requirements for design consideration.
- Participate in design, construction, and start-up activities for new processes and equipment.
- Continuously improve operational reliability, processing targets / quality control, safe work practices, environmental compliance, and efficiency to include identifying, implementing and supporting industry best practices.
- Manage and participate in turnaround activities. Includes allocating and directing operational resources to sufficiently plan and support Shutdown, LOTO, Work Execution and Startup efforts.
- Provide on-call assistance and tactical guidance for abnormal operations.
- Provide onsite leadership during operational incidents as required per site Emergency Response guidelines.
- Manage supervisory operations personnel, including motivating, training, and consulting the team.
- Mentor and guide direct and indirect reports to maximize performance in current roles and prepare individuals for future roles ensuring a reliable and competent workforce.
- Optimize staffing levels to provide operational support consistent with production and complexity.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with refinery process applications or a closely related industrial setting.
- Possess strong knowledge of refining process equipment including environmental regulations and requirements pertinent to refinery operations and ensures compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and remain focused and organized.
- Ability to effectively delegate responsibility and manage the work activities of others.
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, contractors/consultants and agency representatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required.
- Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering preferred.