The Maintenance Engineer is a maintenance project engineer responsible for providing efficient, economic and high-quality engineering services to ensure refinery maintenance projects are designed, constructed and commissioned for safe and reliable operation to meet the business objectives of the company. This includes compliance with company’s objectives including the PSM/MOC and mechanical integrity programs, regulatory and industry standards compliance, preparation and tracking of project budgets and schedules, and project management. The Maintenance Engineer is the turnaround planner responsible for planning and scheduling refinery turnarounds with input from multiple departments.
The Maintenance Engineer reports to the Maintenance Manager.
This position is responsible for:
- Maintain a good understanding of industry standards, regulations and codes including API, NFPA, ASME, OSHA and local, state & federal regulations.
- Develop Appropriations for Expenditures (AFEs) for refinery maintenance projects and turnarounds.
- Develop, manage and oversee maintenance projects and turnarounds. Manages activities including project and turnaround planning, budgeting, scheduling, forecasting, resource allocation and cost control. Prepare scopes of work, request for quotations, and secure estimates and cost quotes as needed.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of maintenance projects including mechanical, electrical, and civil construction design. Oversee project construction and turnaround activities.
- Interface with operations, environmental, and inspection departments on compliance, scope, startup, and commissioning.
- Be held accountable for keeping projects on schedule and on budget while meeting design objectives and ensuring projects are completed safely and are commissioned for safe and reliable operations.
- Effectively communicate any deviations to projects and turnaround schedules, budgets, original design intents, or any impacts to safety or reliability.
- Participate in maintenance coverage of turnaround activity oversight.
- Participate in operating manual input, MOC development, PSSR implementation, PHA reviews and recommendations.
- Responsible for driving continuous improvement of the maintenance department through the use of established performance metrics (schedule compliance, planning accuracy, etc.)
- Provide repair project planning based on inspection recommendations for corrective actions on deficient equipment.
- Ensure the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) is utilized to generate appropriate work orders for projects and turnarounds, and documentation is properly uploaded.
- Minimizes costs and disruption to refinery caused by Maintenance project and repair activities.
- Interface across the entire organization as relates to Maintenance and Turnarounds.
- Schedule and attend turnaround meetings with various departments to develop turnaround scope and work list.
- Interface with contractors, and material procurement contractors to assure materials and manpower are available and meets requirements.
- Provide daily progress updates and analysis for ongoing turnarounds.
- Provide post turnaround analysis to drive continuous improvement.
- Communicate both written and verbal across the entire organization and with equipment manufacturers, contractors and vendors.
- All other reasonable duties, as assigned.
- Works extended hours, including nights and weekends, in process operations environment and during periods of inclement weather. Accesses areas of refinery requiring use of stairs and/or ladders to inspect critical process and mechanical equipment including periods of inclement weather. Responds to upset conditions during off hours.
Qualifications and Requirements
The successful applicant for this position must have:
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and remain focused and organized.
- Ability to effectively delegate responsibility and manage the work activities of others.
- Possess strong knowledge of refinery process equipment.
- Establishes goals and objectives which are specific, measurable, achievable and relevant.
- Proficient project coordination and management skills required.
- Demonstrated advanced communication, interpersonal, technical and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact well with internal and external contacts required.
- Must have excellent computer skills as demonstrated by ability to compile and present information and data utilizing Microsoft Office and Google Suites.
- Familiarity with Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Ability to learn other job specific applications as required.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering required with 3 to 6 years’ experience in Plant Maintenance. Refining or closely related field preferred.
This position is considered full-time regular employment, FLSA status is exempt with full slate of Company benefits (after applicable waiting period) including medical/dental insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation, company retirement plan, and 401(k) plan.
Kern Oil & Refining Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.