As a key part of Kern Safety, the Health & Safety Advisor is responsible for actively participating in the development and implementation of safety programs to promote a safe work environment by prevention and correction of unsafe conditions and situations. This individual interfaces directly with refinery staff conducting training, incident investigations, and providing guidance and support on safety related matters.
- Coordinate the development, implementation, and update to safety programs and procedures to ensure personnel safety and organizational compliance.
- Participate in the development and delivery of safety training programs for facility employees including monthly training topics, program specific training, and compliance related activities and topics under the direction of the Health & Safety Manager.
- Coordinate and lead accident/incident investigations. Manage corrective action items to completion.
- Participate in Kern PSM Program activities including, but not limited to, tracking and documenting MOC’s and to assist Health & Safety Manager to maintain a compliant program.
- Coordinate audit and verification activities for health and safety programs to confirm compliance with facility, regulatory and industry requirements/guidelines. Prepare written report for activities to document findings and recommendations for program compliance improvements.
- Lead special projects, under direction of Health & Safety Manager, regarding safety programs, surveys, and monitoring (inclding personnel/industrial hygiene monitoring).
- Coordinate follow-up activities with operations, engineering and maintenance related to deficient findings from inspections safety audits.
- Provide field guidance and support specific to safety policies, safe working conditions and safe behavior to refinery maintenance, operations and contract personnel, maintain field presence during projects/turnaround activities, etc.
- Participate in facility walk-throughs with Kern County Fire Department for emergency responder coordination efforts, as well as participate in conducting of periodic drills.
- Assist with regulatory reporting and notification pursuant to Kern County Environmental Health Department, Cal/OSHA, and/or other federal or state agencies, as needed.
- Escort agency personnel while on-site; facilitate on-site agency inspections and participate in pre- and post-inspection briefing meetings, as directed by Health & Safety Manager.
- Ensure health and safety activities are documented appropriately and communicated to affected departments.
- Minimum of 5 years’ related experience and/or degree/training in industrial safety
- Knowledge of California and Federal safety and health regulations
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written including drafting written reports and procedures, speaking effectively before a group and presenting data/information in a concise format.
- Demonstrated ability to work well and simultaneously on many tasks with short deadlines and prioritize work.
- Demonstrated ability to read, interpret, and apply information from documentation such as laws and regulations, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations with limited standardization exists.
- High School diploma or equivalent