Kern Oil & Refining Co. (Kern) is seeking a Project Engineering Intern to support engineering activities in
the summer of 2019 with the goal of future long term employment after graduation. The intern program
will provide a 40 hour per week 10 – 12 week assignment geared towards completing multiple detailed
refinery projects. Interns will gain practical, hands-on experience and training that will provide an
opportunity for growth, learning and development within the Refining industry.
At Kern you can expect to become familiar with industry codes and best practices, build critical thinking
skills, and gain an understanding of how all engineering disciplines work together. You will also gain
knowledge of refining processes by working with a team of professionals.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Project Engineers develop and use project management skills to create project scopes, estimates, and schedules. Once a project is developed and approved, the project manager will oversee the design effort and assist in the construction process. Kern will provide training and educational opportunities to help you develop your knowledge of all aspects of project management. We are committed to engineers into
professional project managers who can successfully manage projects of all sizes.
- Primarily these projects require identification of safety, reliability, and environmental concerns and
identifying ways to strategically provide recommendations for improvements.
- Interns will be responsible for providing valid recommendations for each project based on real engineering challenges, and evaluation of new technologies.
- Interns may also be asked to assist with day-to-day operations working alongside a full-time
- Enrolled in an undergraduate degree program majoring in Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 3.0 minimum GPA strongly preferred
- Preferred Classification: Junior or Senior
- Anticipated Graduation: December 2019 – June 2020
- Must have excellent computer skills as demonstrated by ability to compile and present information and data utilizing Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn other job specific applications as required.
- Willing to relocate to Bakersfield. Room and Board during internship not included
Application deadline is March 1st.
Selection process will commence upon receipt of application package. To apply for consideration, please send via email a resume and current transcript showing class standing to Kern Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kern Oil & Refining Co. (Kern) is an independent oil refining and marketing company. Our headquarters and refinery are located in the central California city of Bakersfield where Kern is an important producer and supplier of California approved gasoline and diesel fuel. The refinery was originally constructed in 1934 and has continued over the years to be a reliable source for gasoline and diesel fuel for the California Central Valley.
Kern is committed to remaining competitive in the marketplace while maintaining a productive refinery in compliance with the challenging business environment of today. Kern employs about 130 people and is committed to providing a safe working environment for all while working diligently to provide cleaner fuels.